Still stuck with your baby weight?
How to lose weight while breastfeeding is a concern for many moms who want their pre-pregnancy weight back.
The truth is…
It’s doable, but it’s not gonna be easy.
I know it’s important for you to lose weight while breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is super important for your baby. Now is not the time to undertake the latest fad diet.
It’s important to maintain a balance. Losing weight too fast may limit breastmilk production, so slow and steady wins the race.
It’s important to maintain balance between weightloss and breastfeeding.
Here’s what to do if you want to know how to lose weight while breastfeeding, do this.
How To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding
1. Eat Lots Of Fruits And Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and folic acid. They’re also known to prevent vitamin C and vitamin A deficiencies.
Include a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet such as:
- Brussels sprouts
2. Eat Protein-Rich Foods
Eat some protein if you want to maintain a healthy body. Protein is super important for pregnant and nursing moms. Your diet should always include protein, this will:
- Prevent you feeling tired all day.
- Ensure your breastmilk supply.
- strengthen your baby’s muscles.
Include protein in your diet such as:
- Cooked poultry
- Lean meat
- Nuts or seeds
3. You Need Carbs
Slow-release carbs prevent a sharp and rapid rise in your blood sugar levels, decreasing your risk of gaining weight and getting type 2 diabetes.
Not the highly processed carbohydrates like:
- or pasta
Eat slow-release carbs like:
- non-starchy vegetables (spinach, kale, tomatoes)
- fresh fruits (berries, melons, cherries, apples)
- sweet potatoes
- steel-cut oats
4. Fat Is Actually Good For You
The good kind of fat at least. Unsaturated fat plays an important role in breastfeeding.
Unsaturated fat is good for:
- Normal growth and development.
- The absorption of vitamins A, D, E, K, and carotenoids.
- Protecting your organs.
- Maintaining healthy cell membranes.
- Lowering insulin levels (Will help you lose weight ).
Consume these healthy sources of fat:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
5. Drink Lots Of Water
Water is great for:
- Keeping you hydrated.
- Getting rid of all the toxins in your body.
- Helping in the production of breastmilk.
- Helping you lose weight.
As a breastfeeding mom, you should consume 12 – 16 cups of water daily.
6. Meat And Fish Is Just What You Need
Meat is an excellent source of protein and fish is packed with omega 3 fatty acids.
- Repairing tissues.
- Making essential hormones and enzymes.
- Aids in proper immune system functions.
- Preserves lean muscle mass.
Eating fish is great for:
- Ensuring optimal fetal brain.
- The eyes.
- The baby’s immune and nervous system development.
- Reducing belly fat (Omega 3 reduces fat cell size).
- Boosting fat loss especially with exercise.
When eating fish, opt for fish low in mercury.
7. Don’t Forget To Exercise
If you want to know how to lose weight while breastfeeding you need to exercise. You don’t have to exercise rigorously. If you hate exercising then try to walk at least 30 – 45 minutes a day.
You need to lose the weight slowly. 1 – 3 pounds per week is best. The longer it takes the easier it is to keep the weight off.